Bing Statistics: Search and Usage Data in 2024

Bing Statistics: Search and Usage Data in 2024

Unsurprisingly, Google’s iron grip on the search engine arena remains as steadfast as ever in 2024, but current Bing usage statistics reveal that this underdog is far from irrelevant. 

New AI tools like Copilot and niche user bases are major factors driving Bing’s significant growth over the past year, and the search engine is in a position to integrate with other popular Microsoft products, which could further push its usage to new heights.

Search engines are constantly evolving to stay competitive in the race, and a quick look at this year’s Bing statistics clearly shows that Google’s contender is on the move and worth watching closely. After all, in the digital world, some of the biggest names come from humble beginnings—just look at Apple in 1976, Amazon in 1995, and Facebook in 2004. 

Of course, Bing is far from a garage operation, but it’s no secret that the search engine has long been overshadowed by the king. While Google won’t be dethroned—at least not anytime soon—Bing’s former reputation as a court jester has been shed as it forges its own path toward the crown.

Let’s dive into the key Bing search statistics that should be on your radar in 2024 and beyond.

Bing Statistics: User Demographics

A screenshot of the Bing Maps platform

Bing’s recent growth is largely driven by its ability to corner certain segments of the market. Here’s a look at data that’s directly related to the search engine’s user base.

Two-Thirds Are Male

64.15% of Bing’s user base consists of male users, with female users accounting for the remaining 35.85%.

Many Users Are in China

In September 2023, the Bing website received 1.2 billion visits, with a significant portion of that traffic being from China. Bing usage statistics show that 32.95% of Bing users are from China, with the US taking second place at 26.23%.

Two-Thirds of Bing Users Prefer Mobile Searches

Bing statistics show that 66.31% of visits are on mobile devices, with desktop traffic filling the remaining 33.69%.

Most Searches Are on Desktops

While the majority of Bing users prefer mobile searching, Bing struggles to capture the overall mobile search market, ranking #5 with only 0.46% of mobile users using the search engine. 

In contrast, Bing has a market share of 10.5% of desktop searches. The higher number of desktop users makes sense, as Bing is the default search engine for Microsoft Edge on Windows.

Over 50% of Users Are Younger Than 34

A screenshot of a young girl using Copilot

Slightly over half of Bing users are 18-34 years old, with 30.7% being in the 25-34 age group and 22.17% being in the 18-20 age group.

The Majority of Traffic Is Direct

Bing statistics show that 79.31% of Bing traffic is direct, with organic search and referrals taking second and third place.

Bing Gets More US-Based Tablet Clicks Than Google

Bing has a 5% click share of US-based tablets, compared to Google’s 3%.

Bing Is Popular Among Console Gamers

Bing usage statistics show that the search engine has a market share of 54.68% of console users, which is unsurprising because it’s the default search engine on Xbox.

Bing Is Huge Among Shoppers

Bing is a major player in ecommerce. Compared to Google, Bing has a 43% higher CTR (click-through rate) on shopping advertisements. This Bing statistics figure is largely due to its partnerships with popular shopping sites, such as Amazon, OfferUp, and Gumtree. Furthermore, the Bing Rewards program incentivizes shoppers to use the platform.

Branded Searches Surpass Google

For the same reasons why Bing is so popular among shoppers, the search engine receives 26% more branded searches than Google. In fact, 55% of Bing searches are product research.

Many Users Are Affluent

On average, Bing users tend to be affluent, with 38% earning a yearly household income over $100,000.

Bing and Copilot Are Poised to Target Power Users

A screenshot highlighting the benefits of Microsoft Copilot

While it’s impossible to predict what the future holds for Bing search statistics, Copilot is already making major waves among power users. Further integration with popular Microsoft products—Edge and Office 365, for example—could easily push those on the fence to embrace the search engine’s ability to be used as a productivity-boosting tool.

Bing Statistics: Recent Growth

Now that you have a better understanding of the users behind Bing’s recent growth, let’s take a look at the actual figures. It’s worth noting that the vast majority of these rising Bing usage statistics directly coincide with the release of Bing’s new AI tools.

Bing Has Over 100 Million Daily Users

In March 2023 (a few weeks after launching Bing Chat), Bing crossed the threshold of 100 million daily users and recorded 45 million chats.

Global Search Engine Market Share Has Risen

In February 2023, Bing’s worldwide search engine market share was 2.81%. As of May 2024, that number has risen to 3.64%. While this may not seem like the most impressive of Bing statistics, that’s a significant improvement when you consider how difficult it is to compete with Google’s domination at 90.91%.

Ad Revenue Has Risen Consistently Since 2016

Bing has proven to be a powerful force in advertising, with a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 13.47% from 2016 to 2022. 

At the close of the 2023 fiscal year on June 30, Microsoft reported $12.2 billion in news and search ads, marking an increase of 5.26% compared to 2022.

App Use Increased by 6X

Following Bing’s GPT-4 integration, Bing app usage increased by six times. Android app downloads surpassed 10 million downloads. The app also rated #24 on the Apple App Store’s productivity apps.

Billions of Monthly Visits

Bing statistics show that the search engine received 3.12 billion visits in January 2024, with the average duration of a session being 15:19. 

Bing Is Extremely Accessible

As of February 2024, Bing is available in 234 countries and 105 languages.

Other Fast Facts:

We’ve highlighted Bing usage statistics directly related to demographics and recent growth—key indicators that show its current momentum. Let’s wrap this up with some other interesting points worth mentioning.

Bing’s Customer Satisfaction Score Is Approaching Google’s

According to the American Customer Satisfaction Index, Bing’s customer satisfaction score is a solid 75/100, inching closer to Google’s 80/100.

Bing’s Ad Conversion Rate Still Trails Google

Although Bing statistics show that Microsoft Ads are a cost-effective option, Google Ads still has a higher conversion rate—3.75% compared to Bing’s 2.94%.

Bing Chat in Edge Has a Higher Character Limit

When using Bing Chat in Chrome, there’s a character count limit of 2,000. Microsoft Edge supports up to 3,000 characters.

Bing Has a High Domain Authority Score

Bing has an excellent DA (Domain Authority) score of 94. An average score ranges from 40 to 50; a good score ranges from 50 to 60.

E-Giants Are the Most Popular Bing Searches

Unsurprisingly, Bing statistics show that the top five most popular Bing searches globally are for Google, YouTube, Facebook, Gmail, and Amazon. In the US, YouTube and Facebook rank highest.

Bing Image Creator Is On the Rise

A screenshot of Bing Image Creator

Over 750 million AI images have been generated using the Bing Image Creator. While these Bing usage statistics are still in the early stages, the AI image generator does seem to be catching on.

Bing Chat Beats the Competition

Powered by OpenAI’s GPT-4, Bing Chat has received critical acclaim. A Cornell University Study gave Bing Chat a score of 92.4%, compared to Bard’s 86% and Chat GPT’s (GPT-3.5) 79.2%.

Verizon Partnership Could Increase Growth

The Verizon partnership could continue to boost Bing statistics. In 2019, Microsoft and Verizon announced a multi-year global native advertising partnership with the goal of creating a single worldwide search platform to reach users of Bing, AOL, and Yahoo. 

Bing Maps Is Growing in Popularity

A screenshot of the Bing Maps platform

Bing Maps has over 18,000 customers; the Bing Places API (application programming interface) is used by over 19,000 websites. 

In fact, we’re proud to say that our work is a contributing factor to the platform’s success! We partnered with Microsoft with a mission to increase Bing Maps’ monthly leads and reverse the decline in organic traffic. View our Microsoft case study to learn more!

Partner With the World’s Best SEO Agency

We hope these Bing statistics help you to understand why Bing is worth incorporating into your SEO strategies. Of course, being aware of Bing search statistics isn’t enough to boost your site’s visibility on the platform. You need experts on your side. That’s where we come in.

As the world’s premier SEO (search engine optimization) agency, we’re constantly reevaluating, reimagining, and refining our multifaceted approach to digital marketing, ensuring that our clients are always receiving the latest and greatest services. Naturally, we’re watching Bing usage statistics closely and responding accordingly. 

We encourage you to have a look at our case studies and reviews to gain an understanding of the superior level of expertise we bring to the table. 

If you’re ready to join the Bing boom, let’s talk. Bing statistics speak for themselves—there’s a ton of untapped potential awaiting forward-thinking businesses. We can help you get ahead of the competition. Contact us now for a free consultation.

Related Posts That May Help