Shopify is one of the most versatile shopping cart platforms out there, but if you want to get the most from it, you need to ensure that your site has the maximum SEO value. After all, what’s the point in building a beautiful, fully-functional Shopify store if nobody can find it? As the founder of Coalition Technologies, one of the most successful Los Angeles SEO firms, I have witnessed time and time again how SEO can make or break a business.
Shopify for SEO
Shopify is a great solution for SEO, because the platform is designed to handle every aspect of on-site optimization, from the most simple content and meta data creation, to the more complex back-end sitemap generation. And while Shopify won’t build links for you or perform your necessary keyword research, the platform will handle most of the essential functions that you need to start ranking. For instance:
- Title tags. When people find your site in search engine rankings, the title tag is usually the first thing they see. For example, if you sell used CDs, the title tag might read “Used CDs for Sale” or “Buy Used CDs at Bargain Basement Prices.” Shopify makes it easy to insert title tags for every page on your site.
- Meta descriptions. Your meta description appears directly beneath the title tag, and informs readers about the page in greater detail. In the same way that Shopify allows you quickly enter title tag information, the platform also enables you to insert custom meta descriptions, with no technical knowledge required.
- Meta keywords. Meta keywords aren’t as important as they used to be for SEO, but some search engines—like Bing and Yahoo!—still take meta keywords into consideration. You can enter meta keywords into your Shopify pages just as easily as you can enter meta descriptions and title tags.
- Headings. You can enhance your SEO value for target keywords simply by using the words in your page headings. You want your keywords to appear most prominently in your H1 headings, but you can also derive value from incorporating keywords into your H2 headings. Shopify integrates the appropriate headings into you the site content that you create, so you can be sure that search engines find what they’re looking for.
- Site content. Believe it or not, site content is also important for SEO. Search engines assess the words used on each page in order to determine how to properly index the material. If you don’t have strong copy that indicates what the page is all about, you can’t possibly expect to rank. Fortunately, Shopify makes it extremely simple to insert page copy, complete with custom formatting, images, links and other attributes.
- Sitemaps. Sitemaps serve the precise function that their name would imply. They provide a “map” by which search engines can effectively crawl and index each page. This is essential for SEO, and Shopify automatically generates a sitemap.xml file to ensure that the search engines can do their job.
These are just some of the more prominent SEO functions, but Shopify can handle a host of other important tasks as well, like 301 redirects, 404 optimization and more. By optimizing every facet of your Shopify site, you can achieve a healthy competitive edge in the world of search engine rankings, but if you truly want to reap the maximum rewards, you need a professional Shopify SEO firm on your side.
Why Hire a Shopify SEO Firm?
SEO isn’t a fully-automated process. A professional SEO can help you to target keywords that you might not have realized you needed, and help you to implement those keywords on just the right pages. Good SEO is simply about being proactive, but great SEO is about having a strategy. If you want just the right strategy for mapping keywords across your site, testing your functionality and optimizing your code for maximum search engine benefit, it’s extremely beneficial—and arguably even essential—to hire a professional.
A lot of the SEO work happens behind the scenes. It’s about redirecting indexed pages that you didn’t even know were there, providing Google with detailed instructions using a properly-outlined robots.txt file, optimizing your site speed, performing tests and conducting competition research. No shopping cart platform can fully automate these procedures with any great effectiveness, so it helps to partner with someone who knows what they’re doing.
Go With Coalition Technologies
At Coalition Technologies, our team of professional SEOs understands the ins and outs of search engine optimization, and we work with Shopify for large and small business clients every day. More importantly, our SEO team works directly with our marketers and Shopify web developers so that every aspect of our clients’ sites achieve the greatest level of optimization for both technical and content-based operations.
But don’t just take our word for it, based on some words on a page. Give us a call at 1-310-827-3890 to receive a free quote. Just tell us exactly what you need and let us know your goals. We’ll tell you what we can do for you, and you can decide if Coalition is a good fit for your business. Call us today.