So you came across Coalition Technologies (CT) in your job search. Kudos to you for doing your research about our application process. At Coalition Technologies, we use a set of skills tests to help find outstanding candidates for our growing Search Engine Optimization agency. From digital producers to our writers, developers, and designers, each role has a skills test.
While we won’t outright tell you the answers to your Coalition Technologies skills test, we’re happy to show you what you can expect and how to best prepare.
About Coalition Technologies and our Skills Tests
CT is a fast-paced digital marketing agency with a specialty in search engine optimization and web design. We’re based in Los Angeles, California, but have team members worldwide with the option to work 100% remotely. As a team member, you will hone your skills, master new ones, and learn best practices from an industry leader.
We use a suite of tools and platforms developed in-house, and that includes Tested Recruits, the platform where you can access and complete your skills test. Our skills tests are an important part of our hiring process, and help to find exceptional candidates. Some roles even require no experience for applicants who excel at our tests because they’re designed to highlight your expertise rather than rely on your work history or education.
We currently have 25+ different Coalition Technologies skills tests, each one custom-tailored for every type of role in our company. Many of our roles also have follow-up skills tests that we ask preferred candidates to take.
So, What’s in a Skills Test?
You can expect an assortment of multiple-choice questions, short essay (“paragraph style”) questions, and a video portion. Some tests have a ‘soft’ question that might ask about your hobbies, but most questions specifically address skills you need to know in the position you’re applying for. Here are examples of the types of experience each skills test will look at.
- Office Assistant tests will look at how effectively you can organize large projects.
- Web Designer tests will account for your experience in software like Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Front End Developer tests will determine your experience in HTML and CSS.
- Copy Strategist tests determine how well you can write or re-write branded and optimized copy.
- SEO Analyst tests will identify your understanding of on-page ranking factors.
Steps You Can Take to Prepare
These are our recommendations to help you study for your Coalition Technologies skills test.
- Review our website to best understand who we are and what we do. Look into the client services aligned with the role you are applying for:
- Explore our case studies to see the results we’ve achieved for our clients. You can also get a sense of the types of accounts you may be working for.
- Carefully review the job description and responsibilities of the position. Research the processes involved. For instance, some roles involve keyword research for search engine optimization. We’ll teach you how to do this on the job, but it could be very advantageous to demonstrate a working knowledge of the process during your application.
Preparing for the Video Portion of Your Application
One of your answers on our Coalition Technologies skills test should be via video file upload. Be ready for it! Here are a few tips that we think will help you prepare and make the best impression:
- Prepare to record a video of yourself. Think of the method you’ll use to record and test to see that it looks and sounds good. Make sure that you can get the video file to your computer for upload. Recording through your computer’s webcam or your smartphone should be fine.
- Be ready to talk about your relevant work experience. We would love to hear about any advantages or expertise that you bring to the table. What are the specific projects or accomplishments you’re proud of?
- If you don’t know something, don’t pretend you do. As a new team member at CT, you can expect to learn a lot! If there’s something you’re looking to learn, you’re welcome to tell us about it. We value your honesty.
What Score Do I Need to Get?
Don’t think about your skills test answers that way. At Coalition Technologies, we’re looking for strong fundamental skills that future team members can build on. Performance on our skills tests can make up for a lack of work and educational experience. Expressing your goals on how you’d like to learn and grow can take you even further.
We welcome applicants from around the world. To take your skills test, apply here.